Meet Jessica, Sales and Training Supervisor since June 16, 2014. After spending a handful of years working in the banking industry, Jessica felt stuck and was ready for a change. In hopes of finding a challenging new job, she turned to Indeed.com and happened across a fortuitous posting that started her off on a new career at Flagship.
I learned really quickly there’s incredible opportunity to grow at Flagship, as long as you voice it. Almost from the very first moment I stepped through the door, my career at Flagship has been like an adventure story, never a dull moment!
I started as a Direct Servicing Specialist (DSS) but I only held that position for a short-lived two months. My supervisor learned of my background in training large groups of new employees, which lead me into an Operations Trainer position. Ironically when I moved into that role, it turned out that training was only about 10% of what I ended up doing. Working in partnership with the IT team building the loan system from the ground-up, turned out to be the remaining 90%! This came after the company discovered that I spent nearly six years originating loans. Not unsurprisingly, management saw my potential and I quickly became a top choice for supplying background knowledge and logistical steps. That partnership in turn opened the next door: Working with Legal and Compliance to help create all the support documentation necessary to get the new loan system up and running.
That’s the thing I love most about working at Flagship -- the opportunities I’ve had to apply myself and grow with the company. Don’t get me wrong, the work is challenging. But if you want to learn and better yourself, all you ever have to do is speak up. The support I receive from Flagship Management, bosses like Gerry Quinn and Patty Beard, have opened so many “on the job” educational doors for me! Things like furthering my knowledge of loan servicing, being actively involved in a multitude of cross-departmental projects completely outside my current position... each opportunity offers its own insight, helps me do my job better, and certainly keeps me sharp.
But it’s not just the learning opportunities that make Flagship a special place. We have a really awesome team. We all work well together. If someone starts a sentence, someone else can finish it. That’s the truth! Honestly, Flagship is just an all-around really great place to work.
Are you ready to join us? Click here for opportunities available at the various Flagship locales.
Flagship Credit Acceptance, LLC ("Flagship") is committed to maintaining a culture of fair credit throughout the organization. In this regard, Flagship has developed a Fair Credit Program ("Program") that complies with all applicable fair credit laws and regulations ("FC Laws") and reflects industry best practices. Flagship is committed to comply with the letter and spirit of FC Laws. The goal of the Program is to carry out Flagship's commitment and be recognized internally and externally (e.g., by management, associates, customers, service providers, and the public) as dedicated to fair credit principles and demanding of compliance. The Program applies to all aspects of Flagship's operations (including reviewing, purchasing and servicing retail installment sale contracts whether for itself or others) and all services offered by Flagship, and across all of Flagship's credit operations, including marketing, underwriting, origination, processing, servicing, collection, loss mitigation, and payoff activities, and to all personnel who work for or on behalf of Flagship, whether as associates, officers, members of the Board of Directors, agents, representatives or service providers.
Should you have any questions about the details of any of Flagship's policies, please contact us at 1.800.900.5150 M-F, between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. EST.×
A borrower is more than just a credit score. At Flagship, we focus on the story behind the customer …and look beyond the number.
Life happens. Whether low credit scores are a result of past circumstances, one-time events or just bad luck, Flagship offers multi-tiered pricing structures to finance borrowers across the credit spectrum.
At Flagship we believe a borrower’s credit past shouldn’t dictate their future.
Many borrowers need a second chance. We recognize the vast majority of persons with credit challenges are working hard to re-establish their credit rating. Each of our Credit Analysts are trained in "common sense" lending, a philosophy of reviewing all the circumstances and determining the appropriate deal structure for the specific borrower situation. Flagship maintains a very high standard regarding Fair Lending compliance, ensuring our customers are always treated professionally and consistently.×